Opening Day has Arrived!!
Opening Day has Arrived!!
We are so excited to announce that Kent Gardens Recreation Club will be open for members to swim beginning Thursday, June 18. All of us are anxious to jump in the water so let’s jump right into the important information...
As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, your swim experience at KGRC will be different this season. The rules and policies are evolving. We will send periodic updates on policy procedures as we comply with guidelines from local and state governments, health departments, and the CDC.*
Safety of our members and staff has always been the number one priority at KGRC. This year, that also includes mitigation, to the best of our abilities, of COVID-19. KGRC staff will be trained to help keep members, staff and any other visitors healthy. (There’s more about members’ roles in maintaining safety below.)
- “High touch” surfaces (such as doorknobs, light switches, the check-in equipment) will be disinfected frequently.
- Equipment used by members will be disinfected. For example, you will place your belongings in a bin while you are swimming. KGRC staff will clean the bin before the next swimmer uses it.
- Hand sanitizer will be placed at various stations around the pool area. Please use it.
- Pool staff will wear face masks while moving around the pool area and while interacting with members.
I’m ready to swim!
Great, but we need you to sign up first: Reservations are required; walk-ins are not allowed.
During our first phase we are allowing one swimmer per lane for a 30 minute time slot. (There is a 15 minute break between swim times for cleaning.) You can sign up here: RESERVATIONS
- First and foremost, if within the past 14 days you have had a fever or any COVID-19 symptoms, or have been exposed to anyone that has, please do not come to the pool.
- Please arrive no more than 5 minutes before your scheduled time.
- When you arrive at the pool, before you check in, you will need to answer basic questions about your health and exposure to the coronavirus. These questions are listed below and also will be posted at the Club entrance.** The pool attendant will ask you about your health when you arrive.
- Please head to the Clubhouse on arrival, following the signs and markings, while practicing social distancing if others are in line. The attendant will ask each member health questions and then scan your membership card (touchless). Rather than walk through the Clubhouse, you will enter through the wooden gate onto the deck, past the Snack Shack, and directly to your designated lane. There will be a bin for your things by the pool.
- Please arrive at the pool showered and wearing your swimsuit as the bathhouse will be closed. There will not be an opportunity to shower or change after your swim time.
- The following days and hours are designated for members age 65-plus and those with pre-existing, “high risk” health conditions: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 12 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Bathrooms will be available only for emergencies and staff use.
- After your swim time, please gather your belongings and exit through the gates by the tetherball pole. There will be a “one way traffic flow”.
Okay, that’s easy. What else do I need to know?
We’re glad you asked! In addition to the regular membership rules found in the Membership Handbook, following guidance and requirements of local and state health authorities, we have put together our 2020 COVID-19-specific rules which will be posted in full on our website and available to review at the front desk. Here are the highlights, but members should review the complete rules before coming to the pool.
- Masks are required: Please bring and wear a face mask when moving on Club grounds. (Do not swim or get into the water while wearing a mask.)
- Please obey all directional signage.
- Social distancing at the pool is 10 feet. Please be patient with staff, as they may not know which groups are family members.
- KGRC will not provide kickboards or other swimming equipment. Members may bring their own.
- Per Virginia requirements, only lap swimming is allowed. Members age 11 years and older may swim without a parent/guardian. Any child under 11 years of age must be accompanied by a swimming parent or guardian. Each swimmer will still need to be in their own lane--there is no sharing of lanes, even for members of the same household. (Members may be asked to demonstrate proficiency at continuous lap swimming to the satisfaction of the pool Manager.)
- For now, there is no socializing - in or out of the pool. Under government guidelines, the pool is for exercise only. This will be difficult for all of us because we will want to talk and catch up with friends.
- There will be no places to sit, linger or socialize. You will need to arrive, swim and leave.
- The baby pool, tetherball, ping pong table, and grills are off limits. The Snack Shack is closed.
- Guests are not permitted at this time in order to maximize availability for members.
- KGRC will NOT operate a “lost and found” during the 2020 swim season. Anything left at the pool will be thrown out.
- Please follow the rules and instructions from the lifeguards and staff. Staff are authorized to instruct members failing to follow the rules to leave the Club.
Remember, KGRC will continue to adapt and change as required and permitted, so flexibility is important this summer!
Summertime also means the occasional summer storm. If we need to close the pool due to weather or other reasons, we will notify the membership via Twitter and Facebook. Don’t use Twitter or Facebook? These announcements will also appear on our website. So be sure to check before you leave home if the skies look threatening.
Finally, I hope you’ll join us in extending a warm welcome to our new pool Manager, Eric Johnson. Eric joins KGRC with decades of pool experience. He previously ran his own pool management company, taking care of many familiar Northern Virginia pools, and has coached summer and school swim teams as well. That’s in addition to a long career as an administrator and teacher in Fairfax Co. Public Schools -- while raising his own family in the local area. He’s happy to be at Kent Gardens and is busy hiring a full staff. We are very pleased to have so many KGRC and community teenagers working at the pool too!
Thank you for your patience and understanding our new protocols this summer. We are a family at KGRC and we want to keep you and our community safe. Any questions can be sent to KGRC Board President, Meghan Thomas at [email protected]. We will continue to update the membership regularly as we are able to extend our swimming options and hold swim and dive team practices, so stay tuned.
See you at the pool!
KGRC Board of Directors
* COVID-19 Warning: COVID-19 is extremely contagious, potentially fatal, and believed to spread primarily from person-to-person contact. Governments and health agencies recommend social distancing and other safety precautions. Kent Gardens Recreation Club has implemented preventative measures to reduce the risk of COVID-19 infection, but the Club cannot guarantee that visitors will not be infected with COVID-19 while at the Club. Please strictly comply with all safety regulations and posted policies to mitigate the risk of infection. Even those who comply with all safety precautions could be infected.
Anyone entering the Club acknowledges they understand the risks discussed above, and by entering the Club, agrees to abide by all KGRC rules and policies which have been provided to the membership. The complete rules and policies are available on KGRC's website and in hard copy at the front desk.
** Health questions: As noted above, these questions will also be posted at the entry to the Club.
If you have had any of the following symptoms or believe you may have been exposed to COVID-19, please do not come to the pool:
- Currently experiencing fever or a sense of having a fever,
- A new cough that cannot be attributed to another health condition,
- New shortness of breath that cannot be attributed to another health condition,
- New chills that cannot be attributed to another health condition,
- A new sore throat that cannot be attributed to another health condition,
- New muscle aches that cannot be attributed to another health condition or specific activity (such as physical exercise).
Anyone experiencing symptoms should not come to KGRC.
Made it this far? Check out how great our pool is looking!